Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Reading Options

Week 1: Ovid

For my week 2 reading I've decided to read two parts of Ovid's Metamorphoses. I've decided on this because I'm only vaguely familiar with Greek stories and I feel like it'd be very interesting to dive in and read some of the less well known myths. It'll also give a very good background for many of the story telling methods we use today, since so much was derived from the ancient Greeks. We still tell these stories today for a reason.

An illustration of Phaethon, taken from Ovid's Metamorphoses. Source

Future Reading: Ramayana
I think this one will be very interesting because I've learned about many aspects about how this story is told, but never the story itself. I've learned about the music that accompanies the story and how it plays a role and I've also seen many of shadow puppets used in the traditional shadow plays that tell this story.

Future Reading: Japanese Mythology
This is another source I've often seen referenced or re-imagined, but have read the source material itself. Many of the shows I watched growing up took a large amount of inspiration from traditional Japanese mythology, so it would be interesting to see how the actual stories differ. There are also some video games I've played that have done the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment