Monday, January 16, 2017

Baby Went To Amsterdam

Amsterdam! The Venice of the North, and actually the superior Venice in my opinion. It's the perfect balance of old world charm and modern comfort, with every building being similar but unique and all the canals and roads being laid out in a way that actually makes sense. I first visited Amsterdam as the capstone of a tow and a half week bike trip following the entire course of the Rhine river, all the way from the Alps in Switzerland to the North Sea in The Netherlands. I've visited many more cities before and after Amsterdam, but it will always have a special place in my heart. 

This comes from a special balance of the old and new, the local and the touristy. You can walk around Amsterdam and see countless buildings seemingly untouched by time, but then turn a corner and find yourself in some of the best modern facilities in the world. Similarly, you can spend your entire stay in the center, walking around the red light district and taking boat tours, or you can cross a few canals and find yourself in the Jordaan district, an absolutely gorgeous area with some of my favorite local bars. You'll also see photos all the time that look super photoshopped, like this one:
Canals in Amsterdam. Source: Pixabay

 But that's actually how the city looks. Here's a random photo I took:
Personal Photo of the Canals in Amsterdam from August 2016

The city is just full of character and feels like home despite being a completely foreign place. The lyrics of the Peter, Bjorn, and John song "Amsterdam," from which this post got its title, still ring true. They go: 
And I tried to go away to a place of my own
Working hard, fill my time
But from early on till I hit the bed
Amsterdam was stuck in my head

"Amsterdam" by Peter, Bjorn, and John. Source: YouTube

One day I'll return to Amsterdam and spend more than 4-5 days by the big canal (another reference to the song).

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes yes and YES to Amsterdam, David: I totally agree! I lived in England for a couple of years, and Amsterdam was a regular landing point for me when I did travels to the continent. There were always things to see and do in Amsterdam. And if you are interested in maybe doing a Dutch project for this class, there is a wonderful Dutch storytelling tradition too. Here's a lovely book online for example: Dutch Fairy Tales — very fun stuff! :-)

    ReplyDelete