Sunday, January 22, 2017

Growth Mindset

I have a hard time telling where on the spectrum of growth-fixed mindset I fall. Growing up I remember being complimented for being smart and that kind of thing a lot, but I don't think that put me into the fixed mindset. It might have done that if it weren't for a few outside factors, however. I am the youngest of three so I've always been used to bringing up the rear in a lot of ways, but I think that's made me value the little bits of growth and improvement here and there. One of those ways that really sticks out in my head was literal growth. Being the youngest, I was always the smallest so I treasured every inch I grew and distinctly remember when I passed each of my family members in height. Now I'm the tallest in my family.

Sports also helped encourage this mindset as well. I've competed in two main sports in my life, swimming and running. I started both of these relatively late, starting both some time in high school. There was no way I could be faster than the people who have been swimming since they were 10, so all I could do was try to be faster than I was before, improve that little bit every year. Running has been entirely self-motivated for me and not done with any kind of team. Every goal, race, or challenge I've done has been solely because I wanted to test myself and see if I could do it.

Now that I think about it, I've done this kind of thing a lot. I do things because it seems like a challenge that not many people will have done. I've run a marathon because I wanted to see if I could. I biked 700 and some odd miles through Europe because it seemed like a fun way to spend two weeks. I enjoy doing difficult research and projects because the outcome is fun and cool and I can make cool stuff happen. I enjoy taking on challenges, but I think this is in spite of having the fixed-mindset type praise in school.

This whole post feels like I'm tooting my own horn, but really, who wants to admit to being on the side of the spectrum that the video said isn't as good?
This is the attitude I try to take with challenges. From the Growth Mindset Cats blog. Source

1 comment:

  1. I definitely do believe that sports help with the mindset desired. I played football up until high school and there is always a strive for improvement (even though I was not very good). Swimming and running definitely take a lot out of you and it is crazy how the difference between getting first place and second place can be milliseconds.

    ReplyDelete