Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Week 3 Storytelling: To Get Her Back

The gods are as cruel as they are kind. I finally held my love in my arms, but just as soon as I was able to hold her were we torn apart. Twice was our fate repeated and I hardly had the will left to live.

This was just the beginning of my journey though. The gods gave me another task. Just as I've told a thousand tales and sung a thousand songs, so too would I need to live a thousand lives, searching for clues to get my dear wife back.

The first time I woke up, I was a man, a sculptor, and I spent day and night perfecting my craft, thinking the gods be merciful if I could create a gift pleasing enough to them. The gods had something else in mind. My greatest work was a statue so lifelike you could almost see the air enter and leave its chest and its nostrils flair with every breath. The marble woman was so real I forgot about my love in another life and, instead, fell in love with my own work. The gods planned for this and made marble give way to flesh. The statue that seemed to move soon began to actually move. I held my new love in my arms and that's the last I remember of that life.

Pygmalion. Source

Several lives passed and I eventually found myself in the body of a young girl. Light of foot, nothing could match my pace. Thus, I sought to please the gods by remaining pure and vowed only to marry they man who could best me in a contest of speed. In order to deter more suitors, I added the condition that any man whom I defeat will have their life taken as punishment. This did little to stop the torrent. Just as the number of proposals grew, so too did the number of lives I'd extinguished. This continued until one day a man came bearing three golden apples challenged me and proposed, all in the same breath. I agreed and the race began. I will admit, he put up a good fight, but he was no match for my legs. That is, until he threw the first golden apple. I don't know why, but I was completely compelled to retrieve it and carry it with me. I caught the man despite the delay but, just as I was passing, he threw the next apple. The whole sequence took place again, and with the third godly fruit, my fate was sealed. I married the man and we lived our lives. The gods were not done with this life, however. They compelled my husband and I to do various insane things, including angering an old goddess in her most sacred temple. In her rage, the goddess changed us into lions to continue carrying out her rage.

My journey through lives continued, each raising and destroying my hope for freedom. I thought I'd finally be free when I woke in the body of a man in the prime of his life. Surely I'd meet my love again now, since even the goddess Venus herself loves this man more than anything. Alas, my fate is not so clear. This life, too, was cut short, this time by a boar's tusk. I laid there dying and the goddess of love could do nothing but change the blood flowing from my body into a flower, so all the world could remember.

I have told a thousand tales and sung a thousand song and lived twice as many lives, and I'll continue to do it just to get her back.

Author's Note:
All of these classic stories (Pygmalion, Atalanta, and Adonis) are narrated by Orpheus, so I thought it'd be interesting if it was actually Orpheus in the story. He's telling his own history, not just stories he's learned over the years.

Bibliography:
Metamorphoses by Ovid, Link

4 comments:

  1. I thought it was really interesting how you had all of these together. It was a little confusing at first since I was not sure how one story became the other, but it was a good story. I have not seen someone do this before and I really enjoyed this. I have heard of all of these stories in a previous class so that made it easier to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, I love how you started off the story. I was hooked! The ending line was exquisitely written as well; your way of words keeps me interested in what is going to happen next. Also, I like the design of your blog, haha.
    I could not help but wonder why it was necessary to take the lives away from suitors whom were not matches. Does that help anything? I wish there was more of an explanation for this. It was an extremely interesting concept and I just wished there was more of a backstory in this section to make it a little less confusing.
    Why were the gods against the main character’s fate of finding his way back to his true love? What did the man do to deserve such a punishment of getting his hopes up and killing it in the long run? What if there was a sequel and he found his love? I would like to read about that too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David, that was a very pleasant read! I really enjoyed your description of how the different lives where although it was the same soul just a different body. Additionally, it was interesting to see things from Orpheus' perspective it's always a unique twist when a story is told from the narrators point of view. The quote on the end was interesting because I feel like getting back to her was the focus of the whole story. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi David!
    You are an excellent writer and I am very impressed by your ability to captivate your audience! Your writing seems to be getting more and more detail oriented as time goes on this semester and you should be very happy with your work!
    I was wondering where you get your inspiration from? What else could you do to feed this inspiration? You write really good stories so I was wondering how to help boost this!
    Also, when you say “several lives” passed how much time is that actually? I was a very active and engaged reader and I felt terrible for the main character so I want to fully experience that journey with him. What if next time you were more specific with the details about his hardships?

    Overall really impressive and great work and you should be very proud of how far you have come this semester already!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete